For a bento box : Recipe N°30An upside-down caramel flan with French gastronomy!
- 500ml whole milk
- 100g of sugar
- 20g vanilla liquid
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- For the fudge:
- 200g of sugar
- 60g cold water
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring it to a boil, remove immediately from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 1 hour.
- In another saucepan, put 200g of sugar for the caramel, spreading it over the bottom. Add the water. Cook over medium heat until a brown caramel is obtained. Do not stir during cooking, leave to melt. Pour the caramel into the bottom of the flan moulds.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Bring a pan of water to the boil (for the bain-marie and keep on low heat). In a bowl, whisk the 2 whole eggs and the 4 yolks. Pour in the 100g of sugar and the vanilla sugar and whisk. Remove the split pod in 2 from the milk pan and filter the milk through a very fine sieve. Return to the pan and bring to the boil again. Pour the boiling milk over the egg mixture while whisking. Mix well. Put the mussels in a large dish. Spread the cream in the moulds. Pour the boiling water into the dish so that it reaches 3/4 of the height of the mussels, or at least half.
- Place in the bottom of the oven preheated to 150°C. After about 1 hour, check the cooking by inserting the blade of a knife, which should come out clean. The blanks may be a little shaky, but the cream should be set, even in the middle. Continue cooking if the blanks are not yet cooked, it depends on the accuracy of your oven.
- Remove the blanks from the oven and dish. Let them cool down, then cover them with cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 5 hours. When removing from the moulds, fill a dish with hot water and place the moulds in it for a few minutes so that the caramel will liquefy. Peel off the edges of the blanks by running the blade of a knife all the way around. Put in your bento on the flan and turn it over in one go. Tap on the bottom of the mould to bring the flan down with the caramel. If the blanks don't come out of the mould despite this, slide a small knife on one edge of the turned flan to the bottom of the mould and create a draught.